Long Overdue Update from Humboldt Park Solidarity Network
Published on August 9, 2022 by HP Solidarity Network
Hello! We hope you are all healthy and well. It's been 18 months since an update was last posted to our Open Collective page. As you've probably experienced yourself, life at this stage in the pandemic can be busy and things are changing all the time.
Humboldt Park Solidarity Network has gone through changes, too: some supporters finished their time with us (mostly because of returning to work or moving away), new supporters and neighbors have joined us, and we established new ways of carrying out our mission of "neighbors helping neighbors."
Casa Hernandez Community Space & Free Store
The big new change is that HPSN now has a physical space, the Casa Hernandez Community Space & Free Store, at 3519 W North Ave in Humboldt Park!
Since June 2021, we've operated a "free store" out of this space, Mondays and Wednesdays 5-7pm, and Saturdays 12-3pm. Neighbors come by to browse and take all kinds of free items: free groceries, free clothes, free kids' items, and more. The best part is that the space has given us more opportunity to get to know our neighbors in-person and build meaningful relationships!
As always, none of this could be possible without your support, so on behalf of us and your neighbors, THANK YOU!! Your monthly donations have funded:
- the existence of the community space and free store! (a.k.a. rent payments)
- frequently requested items for the free store, like milk, eggs, baby supplies, face masks, school supplies, cleaning supplies, and more
- art supplies for free children's art classes on Tuesday evenings, taught by CPS art teacher Tiffani Kuhn
- hot food from local restaurants on our block to give away at monthly idea-sharing events
- specially requested items for our houseless neighbors
- and cash assistance for neighbors who need it
We can't thank you enough for your ongoing support!!
If you want to find more ways to get involved, we are always in need of more neighbors to help with the volunteer opportunities below.
- Drivers with vans or minivans to pick up food and items to restock the free store
- People to staff the free store during open hours (Mon/Wed 5-7, Sat 12-3)
- Assistants for the art teacher during the free children's art classes (Tues 5-7)
- Social media-savvy folks to help with our social media accounts
- Artists and designers to help us make flyers
Above are some examples of how you can help out but we are always looking for anyone who wants to share any skills for the Humboldt Park community!
Follow this link to our volunteer sign-up form, or just come by the store during open hours to say hello and get plugged in!
The free store also accepts item donations! During the open hours, you can drop off:
- Summer clothing and shoes in good condition
- Baby supplies (diapers, formula, wipes)
- Personal care items (period products, toiletries)
- PPE (masks, hand sanitizer)
- Medical supplies (diabetic testing trips, first aid)
- School supplies (headphones for e-learning, notebooks, backpacks)
- Household supplies (cleaning supplies, paper products)
- Household items (dishes, cups, cutlery, blankets, towels)
- Fresh food & shelf stable items
Items not accepted: mattresses, books, winter clothing (until Fall)
Have questions, feedback, or ideas on how to support the Humboldt Park community? Please reach out!
If you'd like to be added to our WhatsApp group text, send us a message/email with your name and phone number!