Greetings and well wishes from the HPSN team! October has been a busy month for Humboldt Park Solidarity Network and we are thrilled to report the following updates. As always, none of this could be possible without your support, so on behalf of us and your neighbors, thank you!
We have continued to receive and distribute US Department of Agriculture produce boxes, which are available as part of the Famers to Families program. This program provides boxes, each containing 35 pounds of fresh produce and dairy, that our team was able to deliver and distribute to the community throughout the month of October.
- By the numbers:
- Total Number of boxes (distro+deliveries) = 1,550
- 10/31: 172 (delivery)
- 10/24: 28 (open distro) +147 (delivery)
- 10/17: 96 (open distro) + 167(delivery)
- 10/10: 300 (open distro) +165 (delivery)
- 10/3: 300 (open distro) + 175 (delivery)
- Total pounds of food: 54,250 (each box is 35 pounds!)
Open food distros:
-Locations: Humboldt Park Fieldhouse, mobile pop-ups around the neighborhood
- 10/3 Unemployment Day at Union Park
- 10/4 Virtual Reading Circle discussing "Fear of the Unknown: Examining Neighborhood Stigma’s Effect on Urban Greenway Use and Surrounding Communities"
- 10/10 Supply Drive with Defund CPD and Black Abolitionist Network
- Weekly Sunday Park Pitch-Ins to clean up our beloved park
- 10/21 Free Community Art Class
- 10/27 SNAP Assistance Training
Thank you to:
- Goddess and the Grocer for the donated refrigerator space!
- Municipal Foods for refrigerated food storage!
- Coins Up Laundromat for donating washing services for our Community Care Circle clothing!
- Artsy in the Kitchen for providing delicious plant-based meals at Unemployment Day!
- Healthy Soil Compost for lending us cargo vans to use for food distribution!
- Weird Thyme for donating fresh and delicious produce!
- Our volunteers who show up to deliver food, clean up the park, fill aid requests, organize food distribution events, and support Humboldt Park in countless other ways. Thank you!
Save the Date:
- 11/ 8 Reading Circle, 5pm: Memories as Catalysts for Social Change
- 11/10: Screenprinting Workshop
- 11/11 5:00-7:00 pm Art Class
- Collecting Warm Weather Clothes, footwear and accessories throughout November!
- Drop-off location: Fields Warehouse 2828 N Pulaski: dock #218
- Drop-off times: Wednesdays from 11:00am-1:00pm; 3:30-5:30pm
- Do you or someone in your network need assistance? Fill out the aid request form! Formulario En Español
- Recommended Covid-19 testing site:
- Dr. Jorge Prieto Math and Science Academy: 2231 N Central Ave, Chicago, IL 60639
- Monday-Friday 10am-4:00pm
- Walk-up and Drive-through available
- No insurance or ID needed
- Free, even without insurance
- Appointment recommended. Book here:
Your donations help fund community needs like:
- Baby supplies (diapers, formula, wipes)
- Personal care items (period products, toiletries)
- PPE (masks, hand sanitizer, gloves)
- Medical supplies (diabetic testing trips, first aid)
- School supplies (headphones for e-learning, notebooks, backpacks)
- Nutritious food
- Household items (cleaning supplies, paper products)
- And more!
- Do you have a car and are willing to use it to deliver food or other needed supplies to your neighbors?
- Do you enjoy talking to people and want to connect with your neighbors by providing wellness checks? Spanish speakers are especially needed!
- Are you a fundraising guru who enjoys raising money?
- Do you have an empty storefront or community space we could safely use for consistent food distribution through the end of the year?
- Are you missing your local gym and would like to break a sweat receiving and organizing donations at the warehouse?
- Have another skill you’d like to use to help out the Humboldt Park community?
- If you answered with an enthusiastic yes to any of these questions, let us know by filling out the volunteer sign-up form!
Have questions, concerns, or ideas on how to support the Humboldt Park community? Please reach out!
Email: [email protected]
Social Media: @hpsolidaritynetwork