6/3 Ward 5 Mutual Aid Update: Donation Matching!
Thank you for sharing vital resources with our neighbors in Ward 5 DC, through your contribution to our Mutual Aid group!
Your gifts over the past weeks and months have made a huge difference in our neighborhoods, read on for updates on our impact and exciting news about a match opportunity.
Thanks to a few anonymous donors from within our Ward 5 Mutual Aid volunteer group, we now have a $5,000 match opportunity!
This week, your contributions of any amount will be matched up to $2,500 total for one-time gifts, and DOUBLED for new or increased recurring monthly donations! Please consider making a sustaining monthly contribution, at whatever amount is possible for your situation.
Every choice to move financial resources to those who request help, without qualifications beyond Ward 5 residence, is an act of solidarity and justice.
Mutual Aid is all about neighbors helping neighbors, and our informal group has been fielding an average of nine requests each day in May, with a weekly budget of almost $4,000.
As of May 31, we have
- Raised over $18,000, primarily from small donations
- Spent over $16,000 primarily in direct purchase & delivery of food and supplies to
- Ward 5 residents
- Completed 617 requests from Ward 5 neighbors, with another 95 in process
- Engaged with direct support, advocacy and organizing for the 200+ residents of DC's family shelter at the Days Inn on NY Ave
- Mask making team has sewn and distributed hundreds of fabric masks
- And there's much more work to be done!
Support the viability of Mutual Aid in Ward 5 by
Giving directly to help us sustain our work:
opencollective.com/ward-5-mutual-aid (tax deductible)
Venmo @ward5mutualaid (no fees)
CashApp $w5mutualaid (no fees)
Sharing messages and information about Ward 5 Mutual Aid, and asking your networks and communities to give!