Yii news 2020, issue 1
Hello everyone! This is a first update of the year and I hope you're starting the year as productively as we are. I've decided to name this year updates in the spirit of paper magazines. This way these will be a bit more distinguishable from each other and I won't spend time on thinking hard about title :)
Yii 1.1, Yii 2 and extensions
We've got some releases:
- Yii 1.1 version 1.1.22. It is fixing PHP 7.4 compatibility issues found since last release.
- Yii 2.0.32.
- Gii 2.1.4
- Debug 2.1.13
- Assets were extracted from view package into yiisoft/assets.
- Context aware validation was added to yiisoft/validator package.
- New yiisoft/http package was created. It has constants for HTTP methods and HTTP status codes. All constants are documented and there are links to corresponding RFCs.
- Many packages got extra cleanup, fixes and typed properties.
- "Using Yii with RoadRunner" article was added to docs.
- Cycle ORM support was improved: #13, #15.
- yiisoft/demo is now storing data in database using Cycle ORM.
- yiisoft/profiler was cleaned up and is ready for usage.
- HTTP caching middleware was implemented.
- Rate limiter middleware was implemented.
- yiisoft/yii-jquery got cleanup.
Additionally, Wilmer Arambula tried to port Yii 2 database abstraction layer. For now it just an experiemnt but in the future it may turn into something useful. We aren't going to use a single DBAL in Yii 3 allowing multiple choice and plan to start with Cycle ORM out of the box.
Since there's now extra funding via Tidelift, I've called to spending time on Yii instead commericial work. The experiment went fine with roxblnfk. Extra time allowed him to contribute to Cycle ORM integration, web package enhancements, configs concept (not yet merged), subfolder middlware and minor fixes.
Since it proved to work well, I plan to seek to major PHP companies for more funding. Ideally that would allow to form a small team dedicated to framework development. That would speed things up very significantly.
I'd like to thank all backers and contributors making Yii 3 possible. We are moving it forward together.
Special thanks for Yii 3 code contributions goes to: