thanks all for your inputs. apart from the issues opened here, some more things those are on my plan for the future of celery,
1. Release celery 4.3 ASAP if possible by March 2019.
2. Drop python 2 from master branch and make celery 4.x branch a LTS with bug fix only until the end of 2019.
3. embrace asyncio and it's eco system where possible. major overhaul needed.
4. Find out async based alternative for billiard or rewrite billiard to make it async friendly [inputs wanted]
5. implement something native like redbeat for distributed celery beat.
6. Kafka support and related overhaul.
7. Embrace property-based testing gradually and improve test coverage.
8. Improve docs and fix open bugs.
9. add others......
These are my priorities and I am going to start working for this first 8 and possibly some more team members and community member will also contribute to implementing feature requests and squash open bugs.
We also have more features in the plan but these are minimal priorities for now.
feel free to share your opinions.