Open source community-driven standards.
The open source community is huge, we all come from different places from different backgrounds, with different ways to resolve problems.
In this new era where collaboration is a big part of being able to come to the best possible solution, having standards that could help us all have common ground on how to resolve certain problems sounds like a basic requirement.
Being able to create something that followed pre-established conventions we can all agree on basically helps us:
- measure quality in some way
- in case of software development, standards would assist a developer in understanding what a piece of software provides in order to facilitate usage
- provide an understandable and universally accepted way to collaborate on any type of project
- promote a healthy way to extend any project when collaboration guidelines are followed
- bring up to speed newcomers to a project being able to ramp up reading applied standards