March 2019 ntp-4.2.8p13 NTP Release and Security Vulnerability Announcement
The NTP Project at Network Time Foundation publicly released ntp-4.2.8p13 on Thursday, 07 March 2019.
This release fixes one security issue in ntpd:
- MEDIUM: Sec 3565: Crafted null dereference attack from a trusted source with an authenticated mode 6 packet
- A crafted malicious authenticated mode 6 (ntpq) packet from a permitted network address can trigger a NULL pointer dereference, crashing ntpd. Note that for this attack to work, the sending system must be on an address that the target’s ntpd accepts mode 6 packets from, and must properly authenticate the packet with a private key that is specifically listed as being used for mode 6 authorization.
- Reported by Magnus Stubman.
and provides 17 bugfixes and 1 other improvement.
E-notification of these issues were delivered to our Institutional members on a rolling basis as they were reported and as progress was made.
- 2019 Mar 07: Public release
- 2019 Feb 20: Release to Advance Security Partners
- 2019 Jan 16: Notification to Institutional Members
- 2019 Jan 15: Notification from reporter
– tarballs: http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html
– BitKeeper: http://bk.ntp.org
– git: https://github.com/ntp-project/ntp/branches (Please note: the github synchronization and update process is not functioning and we could use some help there)